Saturday 29 November 2014

All good times come to an end...

Hello fellow human beings!


Unfortunately the day in which we part ways has come. This is the last blog update that I will post this year, but who knows, this might be the last one indefinitely.

This last blog is basically my opinion on the course and what have I learned of it. The course only covers poetry and short fiction, the latter being the topic that I tolerate. When it comes to the fundamentals of the course, the only difference that I noticed that separates it from high school English courses is the fact that I had to take the discussion further. In high school we were asked to write about a literary device and how it is developed through another two, or create an essay comparing two characters from two different books that the writers never intended for them to be compared. In ENGL-1080, there are no comparative essays (thankfully), but the same ideas still apply. But the course takes the discussion in the essays a step further by relating everything to theme. Basically, we were supposed to suggest a message (or reason for writing the piece) hidden in the form of the piece analysed. Which in my opinion is much better than the bitter high school English courses.

The blogging assignments are the best part of the course. They force you to squeeze every molecule of creativity contained within your brain at 11:50 Friday night (I was zzZZzzzZZzz last night from a tough week). The assignments were varied and neat, from the very typical High School English assignments to the creating an internet meme. They let me experiment with different topics and even pretend to be someone who does not hold much resemblance to myself (I’m a Human after all). I would also like to add that the instructor was very helpful and enthusiastic about literature. The amount of help the instructor offers on the out and in classis essays is (with respect to my previous teachers) unrivaled.

I have to say however, that this course and the instructor who is teaching me should be held as a benchmark for the high school English courses. This course is truly about critical thinking , you have to understand the significance behind every element in the story

So farewell to thee,
Fellow human beings!
Till next time,

In future errands.



1 comment: